rss

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Lot of Thinking

How far back do your actions set you? This question popped into my head during church a few weeks ago and at the time I had a very specific incident in mind between Ben and my brothers-in-law. I wanted him to realize that simple decisions like which movie to watch or which television show to quote may speak volumes louder than his most genuine example of standing uprightly. Sitting through the rest of church other events ran through my mind:
  • Raising your voice at a child when you're trying to teach him to use his indoor voice or the proper way to deal with anger
  • Gossiping to a person with whom you've worked hard to build trust
  • Slacking at your job or
  • Breaking your word by neglecting a commitment or responsibility
Surprisingly, while thinking of these different situations I didn't allow myself to feel down about myself or the things that I am doing. I recognize that I'm human and sometimes do things I later wish I hadn't. Every one of us does. Knowing and admitting this can help us be more aware of how what we're doing and saying may be perceived. Believe it! We have the ability to change our own course of action and determine whether we will be better people one day. The longer I pondered this whole idea, the more I was reminded of another thought I had a few months ago around election time. Trying to reconcile the nation's choice with my own concerns and worries, I wondered, "What do you do after you've done all you can do?" The answer, of course, is get out of bed every morning, try to make the people around you smile, and try your best to stand strong for what you believe. Reflecting on these two questions together can help us find enlightenment. Most of us are good people trying hard to do good things every day. We want our children to feel protected and loved while they learn and grow. We want our friends and family to smile when they think of us and our co-workers to strive to work harder beside us. We make mistakes, but when we're humble enough to see the damage that's been done, we'll find the strength to try again the next day. If we can wake up and realize that yesterday was actually a pretty good day, then the foundation has been laid and the mistakes we make tomorrow may be a little bit smaller than the ones we make today. Building day by day and one mis-step at a time, we'll make it where we're trying to go and hopefully we'll made a positive impression along the way.

1 comments:

Benny#10 said...

An open apology: I am sorry for the times when I have not been the man I needed to be. I particularly apologize to Ryan, Javier and Mike I should have been man enough to avoid the movie in the first place and turn it off when things became uncomfortable.
Sometimes I feel the mercy of the Lord is in letting me know what my works and example have accomplished and more times I feel the mercy of the Lord is shown by not letting me see the damage I have done, but sometimes he needs me to be humble and so he prompts my wife to nudge me back towards the straight and narrow.
It has taken me a long time to respond to this blog because my pride was keeping me from repenting but now I can say I am one step closer to the statement by the apostle Paul and putting away my childish things and becoming more of an adult.
Thank you Michelle for having the guts and love to call me out and do the Lords errand.