Wednesday, March 25, 2009
It's All in What You Do
Everyone of us has a decision to make upon waking each morning. Our sequence of daily choices works as a conveyor belt moving us ever closer to the idealized person we can see in our dreams. My question today is whether or not people's perceptions of us reflect that person we want to be.
Several events over the past few days have led me to take an inward look at my daily interactions with friends and family and re-evaluate the choices I consistently make. More accurately, in my case, to re-evaluate the choices I avoid making by keeping quiet and avoiding confrontation.
Sunday afternoon I was excited to attend the final session of the Draper Temple dedication. As I sat with two other people I tried to focus on the beautiful photography being shown and music being played. I wanted to feel the sacredness of the moment and feel the peace that only the temple can bring. However, it wasn't long before I found myself drawn into the conversation going on beside me. We laughed and enjoyed each other's company (which is also appropriate and important in the temple) but the conversation too often focused on the shortcomings of another person we know. Although our thoughts were shared with love and understanding of that person's situation, our hearts too keenly desired to release the frustration we had been feeling. This conversation continued for nearly two hours outside in the car after the dedication had ended.
Last night Ben and I watched a news program on ABC called What Would You Do? We were appalled as scenarios were set up and unsuspecting people unquestioningly did whatever it was they were asked to do. We watched a middle-aged lady put drugs in some body's soda and customers ignore a blatant discrimination attack. The most unbelievable sketch, though, was watching person after person steal a baby from a grocery store because a stranger with a badge had asked them for their help. We were appalled and asking, "Who would do that? Who wouldn't think it was strange for a cop to be asking a complete stranger at the last minute to do that?"
The final situation that tied these all together came in a phone conversation this morning. I was taken off guard by a comment that was made and quickly took the comfortable road of mumbling evasive agreements like, "Oh," and "Huh." Not really adding to the conversation and the opinion, but not detracting from it either.
That's the way I did or would have dealt with all three of these situations. In the first and the third I had every opportunity to speak up and share my feelings that the conversation was not appropriate or that the opinions could be very hurtful, especially being conveyed in such a way. The gravity of my passive behaviour, though, only really came to light as I thought about the show and the kidnapped baby. Of course I would not have any part of a situation like the one portrayed and so I was feeling pretty good about myself for that. Just like avoiding a beggar, I would have diverted my eyes and hurried along my way. Then Ben asked, "Why aren't any of them immediately calling the police to say a weirdo is outside the grocery store trying to steal a baby?" That thought had never crossed my mind (or his until that moment). Assuming the situation were real, I would have been as much at fault for the tragic outcome merely by not doing anything.
Is any of this ringing true in anyone else's ears? Maybe not this exact character weakness, but something you know you do that is contradictory to the person you want to be? Thinking about it has already helped me and I feel more at ease with myself because of it. After hanging up this morning, I called two people who really know me and expressed to them the way I was feeling. Then, with their encouraging words, I followed up with a response I could feel good about. One that I hope showed I wasn't taking sides or looking poorly upon that person, but that showed I understood the concerns of both parties involved and hoped it could be addressed without me being in the middle.
That's a big step for me and I hope tomorrow I wake up able to build on that step. My hope for every person I know and love is that they are able to find themselves doing the same. What is the thing you can do today that will enable you to wake up tomorrow one step closer to that person you dream to be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Very interesting. I think alot of us are not fully conscious of our actions. I saw a study in my psych class that was done during WW2 where an authority figure would ask people to administer shocks to people on the other side of a half wall where they could hear but not see the people. They kept increasing the voltage and people on the other side would pretend to scream to see how far a person would go to obey an authority figure. Some times they would fake a death. The study was done to prove that most people would obey hitler if in the same position.
My mom gave me a book to read called "Hitler's Willing Executioners" that evaluated the psyche of people involved with Hitler. Maybe it was getting to the same point as that study...it was too scary for me to finish. Really, really interesting, though.
A brilliant piece of writing here. I have found so many times when I think I have fianly got it, some knight of mirrors shows up from Don Quihote and suddenly I see myself as I really am and more often than not it is a horrid and shameful image.
One of the best lines I have ever heard is 'often times the problems I notice in others are the biggest problems I have with myself'. This is one of the most painful things for me to accept because it has proven true time and again. The worst part about it is the ease with which I can find this problem in others and they would be so much better off if they just listened to me, of course, then I realize my problem and have to humble myself, again and ask forgiveness, again. I believe it will be the earnest baby steps that will eventually bring me into the presence of the Father well that and a whole heap of his sons grace.
Post a Comment