rss

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bring On Spring

 A few weeks ago I broke my resolve to save money by suppressing all travel desires.  With 24-hour's notice and an invitation from family to join them in the Grand Canyon, I hastily packed my bags, loaded bewildered kids in the car, and hit the open road.  It was the perfect way to welcome spring and summer adventure back from hibernation.

Apparently a little too perfect because now my imagination has gotten the best of me.  With extended family trips already scheduled to San Diego in the summer and Iowa in the winter most people's vacation budget would be full.  I guess it's all in your priorities.  My home is humble and my kids wear hand-me-down clothes and that's fine for me.  Its what makes the going possible.

So what else is on the itinerary?  Well....

~An unexpected additional trip to Iowa and Kansas next week.  Fact is, I miss my family.  And my boys miss playing with grandpa's antique toy trucks. So we're going.  Simple as that.
A July wedding in the Washington D.C. LDS temple that I'd love to go to, but probably will be the first item on the chopping block when reality sets in. 
Swaseys Beach
Relaxing weekends at a "secret" beach-side camping spot
~Hiking in the Utah  mountain canyons.
~Lots of sun and fun at our local waterpark
~Parades and city festivals until we can't bear to take one more piece of free candy or cheap advertisement
~Meeting my sister half-way between here and there for a random weekend meet-up (hint, hint, Beth)
CP10_1Sat_dx0047.jpg
The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta with side trips to
Dune scenic 1083
 White Sands National Monument
and the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
   And if I'm lucky, an incomprehensible number of things I haven't dreamed up yet!

What have you dared to dream into your summer travel adventures?

10 comments:

b. lee said...

The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta would be AMAZING * *

Unknown said...

I'm glad you went.

If I could get a permit to hike the Wave this summer, I'd be a happy girl. I see a lot of quick family things coming our way but so far no big plans.

Michelle H said...

The Balloon Fiesta is a 100% MUST! We went for the first time last year with the intention of only going one day, maybe 2. We ended up going 7 and extending our vacation by a day just to get in one last dawn patrol. So much fun!

Michelle H said...

Ooh, I went to the Wave 2 years ago and LOVED it! The adrenaline of getting a lottery spot and then being in a place most people will only know from calendar photos! Good luck getting there! You've got me thinking...it's about time we headed back down there as well!

ShanimalsCrackers.blogspot.com said...

Hi, I saw your blog on some blog hop or another, and I clicked on your blog because you had a picture of the temple on it. I follow anyone else who is LDS...well, kind of. I think the DC Temple is really pretty.

Anonymous said...

What fun pictures. Good for you for packing the kids up and heading out. Looks like you had fun.
Stopping by from SITS.

LBDDiaries said...

Well, just reading this post has lead me to a few things I'm going to jot down on my calendar! I want to go to the baloon fiesta for sure! I like how you just jump in and LIVE! Thanks for dropping by from SITS today.

T said...

Makes me wanna travel! We've been right here for TOO LONG! LOL

New follower!

Hope you will follow back and also check out my first ever giveaway while you are there =]

http://interruptingcowreviews.blogspot.com/2011/04/giveaway-check-out-this-head-wrap-from.html

K @ TS said...

I love it. Just getting up and going is so fun. I also agree with your budget. Wear hand-me-downs and travel! Travel is so much more enriching than clothing!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you linked up with us this weekend at the S&R weekend hop! I swear I was already a follower of yours from when I first started blogging, but now I definitely am! I love that you packed the kids up and went to the Grand Canyon. I would so much rather live humbly and travel as often as possible. I miss my family too and thankfully will be going home with my kids in 3 weeks! An unexpected expense since I wasn't planning on going home this summer. But, so glad I'm going to! Thanks for posting the button and giving me a chance to catch up with you again!!!
Michelle
Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life