The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints held their annual General Conference this weekend. Available almost immediately world-wide via internet streaming and radio broadcast, I still appreciate the blessing of living in Utah and being able to watch it live on network tv. This year I tried to keep my boys interested with coloring pages and crafts that taught the names of the leaders who were speaking. For the first time in many years I was able to enjoy all four sessions without too many child distractions.
So many of the messages spoke directly to troubles or worries I have in my life, but the talk I can't get out of my head today was by Elder Lynn G. Robbins.
The difference between "doing" and "being." I asked my husband last night what he needs from me-how I can be a better wife and make his life more enjoyable. I was expecting a long list of chores like "put away the laundry instead of leaving it folded in the clothes basket for a week" and "have all the toys put away when I get home from work at the end of the day." Instead he poured out his heart with his desires for me to remember the beautiful person I was when we were first together. He didn't have a big gold star to award me when I finished a checklist of household duties. Instead he shared the pain he feels as he sees me pulling away from him and our kids, and his fear that one day I will wake up not able to remember what it means to be happy.Now, there's no need to rush out and put me into therapy. I have spent a lot of time lately very introverted and selfishly looking only at me. There's a slippery slope in that and I've allowed myself to start down it. Not too far down, though and to see that today is very refreshing.
The reason it matters to me so much all of a sudden? A great opportunity to fulfill a dream has opened up unexpectedly. It's the right time and will be incredibly successful, but I don't have my cards in order. Quite a few other messages given this weekend stressed the importance of being ready for the blessings of eternity when they become available to you. Obviously I'm already married and have two beautiful little boys; what I've neglected to work on is my time management and putting them at the center of my life. It's hard to convince them that starting a huge new endeavour won't leave them even more in the peripheral of my eye.
And so, that is what I am starting on today. Rededicating myself to the small and simple things-daily prayer and scripture study, listening and praising, putting away the laundry and maybe even helping wash the dishes. The other project is going to move forward and that's exciting as well as scary. Hopefully re-creating the strength of love for my family, myself, and my relationship with my Heavenly Father will be the piece of the puzzle that makes this upcoming venture attainable.

5 comments:
I'm so touched. I will ask my husband the same question one of these days.
Would you like to share this post, meet excellent bloggers, and increase your followers in the process? If yes, please join our Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
It's easy to join. All you have to do is 1) link up whatever creative post you'd like to share - can be a DIY project, decor, photography,crafts, recipes, poem, thrifty finds, or that informative syndicated post that can
make us laugh, or cry - in short, whatever you're proud of! 2) Then follow as many blogs as your heart desires, preferably starting first with the one before you and after you, before branching out.
You’re not even required to include the party button – you read that right – not required to include the party button but if you’re so inclined display it in your blog or your post, you’re very much welcome to do so :)
Please join us at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-giveaway.html
I'm in the process of rededicating myself back to God too. All the best! :)
Lovely thoughts. Thank you for sharing and fir taking the time to stop by my blog! Keep moving forward and Being all you can.
This was a beautiful post. I am a Latter Day Saint living in Missouri, just an hour and a half from Liberty Jail. I missed this talk...must have been Saturday session...we were at soccer. I must go back and listen...love your words and thoughts and honesty.
I am stopping by today from SITS. Haven't been here in awhile...so busy and no time to network. I love finding new, inspirational blogs like yours!!:)
I look forward to seeing what your project is!:)
Leslie
Lynn Robbins is my cousin. He is a wonderful man and I have always gotten so much out of his talks. He gave a great one on agnecy and love in marriage a few years ago that I've gone back to over and over again. (It was referenced in the Marriage and Family manual, I think.)
I love what you did with the talk. I think we often listen and are inspired but don't take action. You did. Good for you.
I wish you success in your goal for yourself as well as the new adventure coming your way. I hope it brings you and your family happiness.
Post a Comment