I've been away for several weeks visiting family and I want to share it with you...
There are a few things that will always be better in the Midwest than here in Utah. Thunderstorms and swap meets specifically come to mind. I didn't have the joy of the first while I was home this time, but we did the second one in style! I introduce you to the Sparks Flea Market in Sparks, KS...
Basically an abandoned town in the middle of nowhere, for 4 days in spring and fall Sparks is converted into three packed city blocks of campers, vendors, shoppers, and unimaginable bargain finds. My favorite relics to look at were a toddler ride-on Oscar Meyer weinermobile and an antique child's wooden rocking chair. What I ended up buying (and subsequently hiding and forgetting when it was time to come home) was an antique wooden circus truck complete with wooden circus animals. At some point my mom will mail it to me and it'll become my first foray into re-finishing an old item. My boys will love it and I'm so excited!
| My littlest making a discovery |
Luella Josephine Dobbs from Greg Young on Vimeo.
Because I was there, I had the opportunity to sing a special song at the funeral with my mom and two of my sisters. Growing up we sang together in church, school music competitions, and other events. They laughed when I said I missed that and wished I lived closer, but I do and they'd better just watch out...it's not unthinkable that I'd move back just to torture them in that way.
Every year I get nostalgic for the Pella Tulip Time festival. For anyone not familiar with Pella, it's the home of Pella Windows and VerMeer Corporation. It was also a settling point for my ancestors and thousands of other early-20th century Dutch immigrants. Town zoning laws require all commercial buildings to be adorned with traditional Dutch facade and a trip to Pella demands a stop at Jaarsma bakery for S-shaped, almond-flavored Dutch letters. This year I got to go to the celebration!
It was a chilly, on-and-off rainy day, but it was so much fun! We got there in time for the afternoon parade and I was instantly transported back to my high-school marching band days. All the better that my alma mater (can you say alma mater for a high school?) was by far the best band in the parade. When the rain started we curled up with fresh hot funnel cakes buried in glaze and powdered sugar and then drooled as we walked past the poffertje (mini pancakes) and stroopwaffle (syruped waffle cookies) stands.
The rest of the day was filled with more food, an antique tractor rodeo, a kiddie corner, and a night parade. The rest of my trip was filled with plenty of cousins for my kids to play with and family drama that incited both uncontrollable laughter as well as thoughtful conversation. It was a different kind of visit than I usually have and I hope that my future visits can be the same.

2 comments:
I'm glad that you were blessed to be at and sing at your grandmother's funeral.
I am so sorry about your grandmother. The video tribute was lovely. I enjoyed the photos, I love flea markets.
Post a Comment