I have always wanted to be one of those women that does all her shopping with re-usable bags. Over time I've gathered a few boring store brand ones, but I NEVER remember to use them. Even if they're in the empty seat beside me as I pull into the grocery store parking lot, I will grab my purse and not give a thought to grabbing them as well.
My community does not offer any kind of curbside recycling, so it's not a habit I've ever gotten in to. In my house plastic bags go straight into the garbage. I have absolutely no use for them (well, lining the bathroom trashcan, maybe). I know stores have collection bins, but if I can't remember a bag I paid for when I go in the store, there's no way I'm going to remember a wad of dirty plastic ones. If I'm quick enough at the checkout stand, I do usually get paper bags so I can cut them up and use for crafting with my kids. I've been noticing, though, that several of my regular grocery haunts have quit using paper bags completely (Kroger, you are my biggest offender!).
And so, for an easy way to get 2012 off on the right foot, I'm converting to all re-usable shopping bags! I should feel ashamed to tell you it's not actually for the recycling after all. But I'm not ashamed. I just want to shop with pretty bags that make me happy. I went hunting last week and found a great selection-huge bags at TJ Maxx, tiny bags at Ross Dress for Less, and bags to get the kids excited at Toys 'R Us. I have a few that fold up very small to fit in my purse, and one Envirosak that I bought a long time ago on Totsy.
Have they made it out on a shopping trip with me? Three trips to the store in the last week, and I forgot my bags the first two. But I made up for it today! I took them to Costco and didn't have to make 15 trips from the car to the house when I got home. The bagboy for the rest of my grocery shopping thanked me for having such big bags. And he even used one of the tiny ones for my white wine vinegar and cheese. This is the beginning of a new way of life for me!
Do you shop with re-usable bags?
I'd love to hear about your favorite one!

16 comments:
That's funny, Michelle. Where I live, there is a fee for paper bags now. We are eliminating plastic bags altogether. So, for the last couple of months, to prep myself, i was using the reuseables whenever possible. And if I forgot, then I would just ask them to put everything back in the cart, push the items out, and bag it myself before getting in the car! I try to remember the bags now... or else spend money on bags I will not use! I'm glad we are finally doing something big to help our environment! :) Your bags are beautiful, by the way... Mine are boring... but FREE! ;)
Very interesting, Steph. I guess I've heard of places starting to charge and that would definitely motivate me. I've never considered just filling the cart back up, but I'd love to see the look on the cashier's face.
Up until now I've always had just the boring green or black bags stores sell give away. Most of these fun bags cost me less than $2.00 so I decided it was worth it.
Thanks for stopping by!
Recycling aside, I like the reusable bags better than plastic ones because they maintain their shape and they hold more. The handles are long enough that I can put them over my shoulder and therefore get the groceries into the house in fewer trips. Mine are actually getting warn out and a few have ripped so I need some new ones.
I've never remembered to recycle the plastic bags either. I do save them though and have used them for packaging purchases at garage sales. A few weeks ago I gave them all to my mom because my dad has been building these carts (http://petinternational.org/) and they use bags to package them.
If you really want to get into recycling, you can take a page out of my sister's book and make some from feed sacks:
http://vanzantefourfun.blogspot.com/2011/05/from-feed-sack-to-all-purpose-bag.html
The long straps are really nice when I'm wrangling kids through the parking lot! And I love that with re-usable bags I never get home to find only one item in 5 different bags (that's Walmart for you).
I do love the recycled feed sack or dog food bags. Someone should make one of those for me :)
I always forget too--maybe this post will serve to inspire me to remember for the new year!!
I am soooo bad about remembering my reusable bags, too! I need to put mine back in the car soon. Oh! And just to let you know. I did that Tshirt trick on my hair for New Year's eve for curls. :)
We always do our grocery shopping with reuseable bags or bins - I remember them now because I am too cheap to spend the $0.05/bag that my store charges! I have a good collection of bags now of many sizes and shapes.
-sass (host)
stopping by from the SASS
I also forget my bags often - and like you, even if they are sitting next to me in the car.....
Wait a minute...no curbside recycling?! Where do you live!!!! Oh dear!
AND paper bags at the store? I wish that were an option here. Most people now bring their own reusable bags, but occasionally I forget and then you have to pay 5 cents per bag. It's amazing how much instilling a charge for bags encouraged everyone to change over to reusable ones!
What I keep hoping for here is roadside recycling for plastic bags. You can do it at the store, but not at home and I always forget to bring them.
Visiting from ~SASS (host)
http://www.multitestingmommy.com/2012/01/nows-your-chance-to-sass-back-with_13.html
I try to always use reusable bags when shopping. I often keep them in the trunk of my van. This said, there have been a few times when I've forgotten them at home :( I hate when that happens.
Thanks for sharing a great post with us! Visiting from SASS! Have a great weekend!
I often forget my bags as well although I have good intentions. Probably because Sobey's doesn't even charge for the plastic ones. When hubby and I were in Hawaii in Sept, turns out that Kauai has banned plastic bags from the island. Completely! You will only find paper bags there. Biodegradable SASS
We don't use the reusable shopping bags because we have cats, and need to have litter bags. However when I go to the Farmer's Market I bring reusable bags since most farmers don't have the bags, or I don't want to make them pay for them.
One of the best gifts I got from my mom was a stash or reusable bags. I never thought I would use them but after using them for a few years using them I always do my grocery shopping with them! I am not so good when I go to retail stores. Those stores I end up just using their bags, but thankfully only the grocery stores charge for their bags. I am sure once the retail stores charge in my city I'll use reusable ones then. Thanks for linking up -SASS Host
Lol! Whatever it takes... I try to use the reusable ones because I can't stand to have a million of the plastic ones at my house. Around here Fresh and Easy will recycle them... but that means I have to remember to bring them :-) SASS
I'm all about the cute re-usable bags too!
stopping by from the alexa hop
http://www.mysocalblog.com
Cute bags! Good luck with your resolution. Here in Ontario they now charge for plastic bags at most stores, to try and encourage folks to use re-usable bags. I try, but I can NEVER remember to bring the damn things in. If you come up with some sort of brilliant reminder system let me know,k? - SASS
Post a Comment