rss

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Way Life Turns Out To Be

A professor once asked the students of her marriage preparation course, "What are the most important values you are looking for in a spouse?" The lists were long: sense of humour, intelligence, faith, steady job, good family, similar interests, education, sense of adventure, loyalty, stability... The professor then asked, "What one of those values is your top priority?" Without much pause, students responded: sense of humour, intelligence, faith, steady job, good family, similar interests, education, sense of adventure, loyalty, stability... They, like most of modern society, wanted it all. *
We are fortunate to live in an age when any dream can be realized or obtained. What a marvelous thing! We should never take it for granted; we should also never let it cloud our vision. The fact of the matter is, "having it all" only comes after we've obtained important things individually. Very few people win the lottery and see all of their dreams fulfilled in one lump sum. We have to prioritize or instead of achieving all our goals we'll find ourselves many years down the road living with none of them.
 Let's use relationships as an example. Every one of the attributes listed above is noble and desirable. It is natural to judge new acquaintances in accordance with the characteristics we value. The key is not letting the entire list keep us from getting to know a person better. We would remain friendless and alone for eternity. Allowing ourselves to be pulled towards what is good enables us to explore what more could be good. It is here, unfortunately, where we begin to see another sort of problem. Instead of negating all people because they don't match every standard, some people throw common sense out the window and choose instead to naively accept all people. In the end, neither scenario is going to bring us closer to achieving our goals. 
I think every person can benefit from setting down to re-evaluate the areas of life where they've had goals and dreams-work, community involvement, diet, etc. Think back to a time when these ideas were new. What made you smile and feel happy? What ideas did you have about where life was heading? What was most important and have you held onto that as you've moved forward towards achieving your goals? If not, there is still time to pause and reconsider how to redirection your life so that those important attributes surround you. And, then, here's the kicker: What were your dealbreakers? What were the things that you absolutely would not accept? If you ever find yourself questioning why life has turned out so differently than you'd imagined or if there is an aspect of life that continually (or confusedly) makes you unhappy, take a moment to also reconsider these things. 
We are blessed to live in a time where we can achieve every single thing our hearts and minds set out to do. Let us work towards those goals by making sure we stand steadfast on the individual attributes that will make us the person we want to be. (*Thank you to Jacque DeGaston for relating this story)
Thanks for allowing me the liberty to re-post this entry from my first year of writing.  Feeling uninspired in life right now, I'm grateful to the Lord for leading me back to my own enlightened guidance...

5 comments:

Aa said...

I was having a similar conversation with one of my girlfriends this week and we both still wonder is it possible to have a man who understands us 100%? Maybe it's unrealistic to even want that.

Michelle H said...

How easy life would be! I'm positive I'll never fully understand my husband, so I suppose I don't get to complain. Thanks for reading!

heather said...

I don't think it is possible for a man to 100% understand a woman, I mean, if we can't even understand ourselves 100% why would they?

Eliz Frank said...

Keep writing as the muse will return...
Stopping by/commenting back from your visit to my blog - Positive Kismet...Thank you!
I'm now a follower of your blog.
Have a Happy Holiday Season!
Best,
Elizabeth

Benny#10 said...

I think the key is in the final bit, what are your absolutes the small hand full of values on which there is NO COMPROMISE otherwise most everything else can be moved or adjusted or completely changed.
one saying I like came from my time as an missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, for Two years I had to have a fellow missionary companion with me pretty much 24/7 someone told the group I was in you will never have the perfect companion, and neither will your companion.
One last truth I have found to be repeatedly true is 'the faults you see most in others are generally the faults in yourself that you despise the most' I am amazed at how many times I have had to stop mid critique of a person and realized that was the thing in myself that needed repair.