Two thoughts on my mind today. First, of course Beck isn't eschewing the true meaning of Christmas...I haven't given him any kind of example to follow. Second, I have done a terrible job of keeping my own identity as a woman and not just a wife and mother. I don't feel like writing about the first one, seeing as how it would entail delving into the ugly parts of me and I already do that all too frequently. Instead, a more positive path to lead me back to me.
Sometime in the seven years I've been married, I've completely lost me. I can't say anymore that I have any hobbies. I don't hang out with gal pals. I don't have the patience to be pampered. It's almost guaranteed that if I tell you something I like to do, it's something I do with my whole family. This has been really weighing on me. It's the main reason I'm trying so hard to get back in the habit of writing. That is something I love to do...just for me.
This isn't going to lead right now to me listing projects I want to start or pastimes I used to have. I suppose maybe those will come later. No, today I want to recognize and thank some of the wonderful women around me who have held on to who they are or who have found new parts of themselves during their journey.
Kathy, Brooke, & Kimberly
Three of my beautiful sisters (of course, the other two are fabulous as well!). We were raised to be crafty and our Mom was always looking for creative ways to make a little extra money. Now they have followed in her wake. Kathy was always quite artistic and now is decorating beautiful cakes. Brooke was a single-mom for years and began designing silverware jewelry to take care of her kids. And Kimberly is a new mom now, trying to do the same for her family. A fashion designer at heart, she has created a niche for herself everywhere from Renaissance fairs to baby showers. I'm lucky to have so much creativity in the family.
Annie
I find my inspiration from Annie in a completely different way. Life threw us together as sisters-in-law, and I'm grateful. We probably would have never been found hanging out in the same circles. What Annie brings to her life is a zeal and appreciation for having close friends to share celebrations and hardship. The people she chooses to be around know how much she loves them. And she takes the time to get away and be just with them every now and then. Away from her kids and her husband. Girl time just to be free.
Amanda
An old friend from my Alaska days whom I haven't seen in years, but Amanda is still inspiring me. She's a little off the wall, maybe a little off her rocker. She's kookie and I love her kookie-ness. Amanda loves life! That's how she inspires me. She keeps dreaming and reaching and makes my dreams seem a little less out there.
Darla
I don't know a lot about Darla, I'll admit. She takes my rent each month and I try hard to not give her a reason to evict me. What I do know about Darla, though, is that she uplifts her family. In the trenches right now with serious illness, financial difficulties, and all kinds of unknowns, her faith is strong. No person is immune from doubt or frustration, but her testimony is bright. She hasn't shied away from service, her family obviously loves her, and they're making it through okay. It's completely selfish, but watching her walk through the life she has today uplifts me.
Ladies, thank you. For being you and having flaws and sharing them with me. But also for not being scared or hesitant or resigned to defining yourself as less than you want to be. You're helping me to be a better me.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Women In Deed
Labels:
alaska,
choices,
crafts,
dreams,
family,
hobbies,
inspiration,
priorities,
relationships,
struggles,
talents,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That's wonderful that you have such amazing women in you life. I also have incredible women who have impacted me and helped me to become a better person. I'm so thankful for them. I hope that writing helps you find yourself again (I don't mean that in a bad way!)
Women need other women. That's great you have some wonderful women in your life.
Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the well wishes. I'll take them only positively! Thanks so much for reading!
Annie: What a compliment! That is so nice. I think the problem though with the people I love knowing I love them is that the people I don't know it too. You are fabulous and always inspiring me. Keep writing and we will do the girls only trip in feb!
Amanda: two things: 1- i'm deeply, profoundly grateful that you find me inspiring! 2- how ironic is it that just when you think someone is inspiring you, come to find out that you are inspiring them?! i'm still struggling with the new 'married me' and i look to you as my example all the time! as long as i've known you, it's seemed to me that you're so at ease with being a wife and now a mother, and i can't begin to tell you how much i admire that! (everything i do is awkward and uncomfortable and feels like i'm wearing a heavily starched shirt that's two sizes too small!) ps... take the girls only vacay--- they're amazing, and sanity restoring!
Jeanette: Michelle. Thank you for sharing!
What a fantastic post about the amazing people you know and their impressive talents.
I was so with ya on the whole 'I dont have anything I do' a few years after marriage. It was especially hard because I had a little one to look after (like you) and my husband has horrible anxiety (now doing much better) but still doesnt love going out in crowded places. He much prefers to be home and I just fell in line with that because I wanted to be with him.
It took me a few years and slowly and surely I realized I could go out and have fun and he could stay home and have fun. That was a big realization for me. :)
Being a SAHM makes it hard to find friends though. Thats why I love blogging. Finding new friends!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Can't wait to get to know you more.
Post a Comment