rss

Monday, February 28, 2011

It's What Motivates Me

I'm a spur-of-the-moment kind of girl.  Not necessarily the drop everything and go kind of girl that I used to be, but an instant planner.  My husband can mention a random event in passing and 15 minutes later I'm bombarding him with the best dates to do it and how to get there and where we should stay and how much the whole thing is going to cost.  At that moment I am 100% ready to go....15 minutes (or less)...and my husband is left trying to remember if he was the one who'd set the whole trip in motion.

So, what motivates me?  Let me walk you through the three adventures I've wanted to embark on just this week.

To witness, or be a part of, history.
My sister called this week to ask what channel would be broadcasting the launch of space shuttle Discovery.  Three minutes before blast off we found it on CNN and then the NASA channel.  I recorded it and watched later with my family.  Watching instantly took me back to 3rd grade, sitting in my school desk, watching the launch and subsequent explosion of the Challenger.  It moved me.  It was my husband who later reminded me there are only going to be two more shuttle launches in the entirety of history.

Getting from Utah to Florida for a space launch is not an overnight jaunt.  Plane tickets, lodging and rental cars are going to cost a bit of money.  But can you put a price on creating memories?  The last two launches are scheduled for April 19 and June 28 and I want to be there.  When my children are writing school reports about space, I want them to have first-hand stories to tell.  When the world starts to forget this incredible part of United States history, I want to have first-hand knowledge to share and remind them.

Anything Is Worth Free
I have a NASCAR family (at least at the beginning of the season).  My dream would be to buy the RV infield weekend package and surprise my dad with the trip of a lifetime.  However, until I wake up in a bed of money, I'm more than willing to get in on the events more within my budget.  This weekend's Kobalt 400 race in Las Vegas is the closest the NASCAR circuit will come to me this year.

Of course I want to go.  At first it was just a joke with my husband.  It would get us out of a weekend of church stake conference meetings.  Then I discovered there are two days full of free activities well worth seeing.  On Thursday there are autograph sessions with drivers we follow and my dad's favorite racer, Danica Patrick.  Both Thursday and Friday you can watch practice laps and qualifying laps in the stadium for free.  And Thursday night the NASCAR car haulers parade down the Las Vegas strip.  After paying for gas and dirt-cheap Las Vegas lodging, it's an entire weekend of free!

It's There!
Utah is an extremely diverse state and I've explored nearly every inch of it.  I feel sad to talk with people who live here and have never ventured away from their mile of the Wasatch front-especially in Utah County. We're right in the middle!  Nowhere is too far from here.  Moab is the perfect place to get away from the mid-winter blahs!  I've learned that south of I-70 does not automatically guarantee it's always going to be warm enough for camping, but even in March the days are beautiful.  Fresh air and sun on your skin.  Who doesn't want a little bit of that?

Getting YOU Out There
Unfortunately, I'm probably not going on any of these trips soon.  We're working hard to pay off debt and save money for our 2012 multi-month get-away.  And so, if I can't go, I want to find an opportunity that will inspire you.  How great it makes me feel to pass on dates and times for local parades or festivals or share my travel "secrets"  when friends are heading out of town.  I love planning and finding good deals and am more than happy to do the dirty work if it will get someone else out on the road.

These are a few of the things that motivate me.  Traveling is what gets me excited.  Exploring and experiencing make up a huge part of who I am.  And I guarantee that this week I'll have a whole new bundle of ideas about where to go and what to do.  Want to come along with me?

18 comments:

Lisa K said...

I love your blog- you sound like you are full of energy! That is great! I found you on Family Friendly Frugality blog hop. Hope you will stop by check out my blog. Have a great day.

asliceofsmithlife said...

These trips look like fun and maybe one day your big dreams will become a reality! Thank you for letting us know what motivates you and linking up to NOBH. Be sure to grab one of our hop buttons and put it on your blog or post so others know where to join the fun! You can find the buttons here at the official NOBH page: www.noordinarybloghop.blogspot.com

Annie said...

Hey I know everything I write is all about me but.... you know that if you came to visit me all you would have to pay for is gas and that is it. Not food, not shelter, not entertainment or anything.... Think about it. Love ya. I really wish you could travel the world all the times that you want. My door is always open though. I can decorate it in Asian stuff to make you feel like you are out of this country.

noreen said...

Hi Michelle, I found your blog on NOBH and came by to say hello! You sound like an energetic planner who gets things done! I've never been to Utah and hopefully will some day! Is your profile picture taken in Utah?

www.rosasrymom.blogspot

Michelle H said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies!

Noreen, my profile pic is in Utah just outside of Provo. It was such a beautiful day to try out my new snowshoes!

Tracy, I'll definitely grab your button. It's a great link-up!

Annie, you know all too well that I have no problem dropping everything and heading out of town. It's amusing me to think of your beautiful new southwestern home decorated in kitschy asian decor...

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I would love to watch a space launch in person. Great post ;)

I'm following from the hop ;)

ecwrites.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice post. I've been to Utah only once. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'm stopping by your blog to follow you from the Thirsty Thursday blog hop. If you get a chance please stop by my blog to do the same. Thanks! Dena

Jill said...

What an inspiring post.
The best thing about goal setting and writing down your plans- especially online- is accountability!!

Now you have to act to move (little by little, step by measurable step)forwards.
SMART goals Sustainable, measurable and realistic targets!

I found you on the blog hop and am following you now.
Please feel free to drop over to our blog!

http://beourbest.blogspot.com/

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Great post! And very inspiring. I love 'being a part of history' too. I hope you get to do some of these trips one day :) Stopped over from Thirsty Thursday, have a great one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

I have a NASCAR family, too! You just made me miss mine! I called home last week when the Daytona 500 was on and was so bummed I couldn't get it on the TV over here in Germany. Want to know a little known silly fact about me? When I was younger I wanted to be a Junior Dragster! hahaha..I laugh now, but hey I could have been on those flipping GODADDY commercials!!! Stopping by from FTLOB, and looking forward to reading more of your posts. Happy Thursday =)

Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

If you ever make it to Talledega, stop by on your way! ;)
New blog hop follower
Sweet T Makes Three
Facebook
Twitter

Michelle H said...

Ah, Talledega-I would have died and gone to heaven. :)

All your comments have made me happy today! And don't fret, I've got lots more trips swirling around in my head that might be more attainable. Coming soon!

Erin Wallace said...

So cool that you got to see Danicka Patrick. I think she is so freakin' cool!

Found you on the Almost Friday Blog Hop and am your newest follower. I'd love a follow back at Dropped Stitches.

Lindsey V said...

I, too, love to travel! I love how you think of and plan these fun adventures for your children! They must love it!

Connecting with you via NOBH

Momza said...

Great post! I'm trying to plan a trip to Disneyland this summer.
I grew up in Titusville, FL.--across the Indian River from Cape Canaveral. My mom used to rent my bedroom out to tourists for the Space launches, no kidding. We'd sit on the roof of our house and watch the lift-offs, if we were home, and at school, teachers took us out on the playground. The ground shakes, windows shake...it's a very unique experience. I hope you have a great time!

Lindsey V said...

@Momza - Wow! What a fun experience to grow up with such history in your back yard!

AB said...

Somebody did just what you said:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/03/06/reader-story-why-i-spent-5000-to-see-the-space-shuttle/

Melanie said...

I was sitting in sixth grade watching the Challenger blast-off and my world was also shaken! What do you mean there will only be two more? I, like you, can't pull a trip to Florida out of my hat by June 28. How sad to miss it!

I love your energy. It makes me want to just get out there and plan a trip! I found you from Monday's Best and am so glad I did. I'll be back soon!