Here are some of the things the spirit taught to me:
My kids are children of our Heavenly Father. They have His spirit, and their spirits studied with Him, learned from Him, and grew to maturity before they were given the opportunity to come to me. When I look at them I need to see what He sees and ask, "Who are you?" instead of "Why are you doing that?" or "What were you thinking." My role as their mother is as much to learn from them as it is to teach them the things that I know.
In the grand scheme of things, what is really important for me to teach them? To have faith. To believe in the power of repentance. That by making right choices, they can have the Holy Ghost as a constant guide. And to pray (D&C 68:25, 28). And if these are the things they are to learn, then I need to be sure to teach them in meekness and with patience. I need to be ever kind and focused on true knowledge rather than my human confusions. I need to be able and willing to clarify their mistakes with love. Everything I do needs to pull them closer towards me rather than build up a moat that pushes them away (D&C 121:41-44)
It is a marvelous thing to have a family and that part of that family compound is a spouse to share both the burdens and the joys. I appreciated the council provided in my lesson material for my husband laying out simply the three things which are essential in his role as a father:
- Being worthy of the sacred calling to be a father and living in a way that allows him to perform in that capacity
- Making it a priority to spend time individually with each of his kids. To get to know them and build a relationship where they can always feel comfortable calling on him.
- To provide for his family
I especially appreciated the order of those three things. His focus, and our focus together, should always be on the spiritual things first. And while it is his responsibility, if possible, to provide for us, it should never become his main priority.
That brings me, then, to what I should be doing as a mother. More than anything, my little boys need me to be spending time with them. They need me to play with them and teach them life doesn't always have to be serious. Children learn the best through play and I should never pass up the opportunity to listen to the things they are imagining and dreaming.
A story in The Book of Mormon teaches about of a group of 2000 young men who fought valiantly for their families and their communities in battle. Through trouble and strife, they ever laid the source of their courage at the feet of their mothers.
...and they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage...but behold, this was not all-they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted. Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him...yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying, : "We do not doubt our mothers knew it." Alma 53:20-21, 56:47-48
That brings me to the last, and most important, thing I took away from my lesson yesterday: A mother's testimony can have a profound influence on her children. I would add that a mother without a strong testimony will have an equally profound influence on the testimonies of the spirits with which she has been entrusted. And yet, we are not alone. Being a parent is far from easy and there will continue to be times when my spirit is dampened and trampled. Yet I know there is no need to worry. The Lord is watching over me.

5 comments:
It's funny how you can read a lesson and get one impression, listen to it RS and get another than read about in a blog and get a third. I guess Heavenly Father is trying to tell me something about this lesson because I feel like it's been all around me. I love your insights and your honesty. Thank you!!
I'm in primary so I didn't get that lesson. Thanks for the review. I love all your points. Being a mother is so very hard, but I know we are not alone as Heavenly Father wants his children to have everything they need spiritually that we are willing and able to give them.
I agree with you about what is most important to teach your children. Helping them understand who they are and to know that they are loved by me and God is my top priority.
I often feel like I get more out of preparing a lesson than anyone could get hearing it. I guess that's why I keep getting called to teach -- I have a lot to learn.
Thanks for sharing what you learned. Stopping by from SITS.
I'm reading right now through the "Teaching By the Spirit" book and this was the first lesson I'd applied any of the ideas. Primarily, listening to the spirit instead of burying my head in my notes and quotes. It was amazing.
I heard about this RS lesson and thought it a shame that I missed it (in nursery). I'm glad to get it from you and I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and being reminded of things that I really need to be reminded of right now. Thanks!
Post a Comment