After writing last week, I emailed Kathy and my sister Brooke (who decided to do the challenge with us because she's lazy and doesn't want to shampoo, honest, those are her words) with a list of alternative shampoo options, told them to pick one, and report back. Here is what we have to say:
Baking Soda
Mix 1 T baking soda with 2 c lukewarm water
There are a million ways to use baking soda outside of cooking. It's a great cleaning agent and so why wouldn't it also make a great shampoo? Kathy agreed to try so I shared with her that my research showed the baking soda would be extremely drying. Many of the recipes online suggest following up with a vinegar rinse for conditioning.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix 1 T vinegar with 1 c water
No one tried this. See, I didn't know Brooke was going to do the baking soda so I didn't warn her about the drying. When it completely dried out her hair she didn't mind, but when it "completely dried out my back and my legs and anywhere the water ran" Kathy chickened out and decided her hair was doing just fine with out shampooing.
Lemon and Cucumber Smoothie
Peel 1 lemon and 1 cucumber. Blend.
This is the option I decided to go with. The lemon is supposed to be cleansing and the cucumber moisturizing. My kids thought I'd gone off my rocker when I told them they couldn't eat the cucumber because I needed to wash my hair with it. While fighting back a gag reflex with the first pouring on my head I thought I might agree with them.
The blog I got this recipe from warned of a need to make sure you rinse really well to get all the little lemon pulp pieces out. I'm here to tell you there is absolutely no way this is possible. Originally I washed with just the smoothie. My hair was extremely tanged, but I was determined to leave it. I got out of the shower, dried off and then gasped at my reflection in the mirror. There were little white lemon flecks from root to tip! Hoping conditioner would grab onto all that mess, I flipped my head over in the sink, conditioned and rinsed again. No better. My hair is full of citrus yuckiness...
Lemon Juice
Use the Juice of 1/2 Lemon, Squeezed
Seriously, my hair smells amazing! And my scalp is tingling. The good way tingling. I can say with certainty that neither Kathy and Brooke nor myself are going to be come all-natural granola-type shampoo users. But I definitely can see myself occasionally squeezing the juice of a lemon and/or a cucumber into a spray bottle and adding it to my washing routine. As my husband pointed out, there must be a reason manufactured cucumber scent is so popular in commercial shampoos. Trust me, the real stuff is so much better!
So what am I telling you to do?
Experiment if you must.
Use our experiences for jumping off and let me know how it goes.
Have you tried these or other alternatives?
I'd love to hear about them!
I have to add here that Brooke's solution for de-greasing her hair up 'til now has been rubbing in Dawn dish soap. The sulfates in shampoos are also found there. That should be enough reason to switch to a gentler shampoo...

4 comments:
LOL!! I'm sorry. I'm laughing. But, I'm picturing you with lemon pulp in your hair! I would think that lemon would be drying, too. Good for clarifying, but drying. Maybe you should do cucumber melon. That would smell even better. :) Thanks for stopping by the Sit and Relax hop again. So, how are the curls?
:) Thanks so much for sharing that! I've heard a couple people talk about the baking soda and vinegar, and I haven't tried it, 'cause I'm still thinking about it.:) It's helpful to hear your take though.:)
I'm a new follower from Sit and Relax.:)
Vinegar is a hair stripper. It takes away all oils, so be careful. LOL
I am hopping for Sit Back this weekend.
-Nora
http://norabpeevy.blogspot.com/2011/11/dallas-world-aquarium-photo-essay.html
Your sencond hair attempt had me laughing so hard!!! I have steered very clear of putting pulpy and sticky things in my hair after a bad experience of getting honey out of my hair lol!
I personally wash my hair all natural: with baking soda and I DO use vinegar to rise it (although my boyfriend hates the smell...but I've come up with at least one solution to that so far!). You can check out this post I wrote about why I went back to using baking soda after going away from it the first time if you're interested: http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/2012/08/hair-back-to-baking-soda.html.
By the way...vinegar is actually really good for your hair!! I would know lol.
Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
Post a Comment