The winter holidays are meant for kids. Santa Claus is real, snow falls solely for sledding and building snow families, and a baby (just like I used to be, they'll say) was born in the hay. When else do we let them bring trees in the house or bury them with brand new toys, shiny paper, and glittery ribbon? In the thick of it, they'll tell you every bit of it is magical. It's not until we get a little older that particular pieces of that holiday magic begin to plant themselves in a special part of our memory. For me, the enchantment was the Christmas tree.
Growing up in Iowa, the formula for the perfect Christmas tree involved waiting for a bitter cold day and swirling biting winds. The whole family piled out of the station wagon at the country Christmas tree farm, picked up a hacksaw and trudged acres and acres to the farthest, most un-harvested hill. The arguments then ensued as six girls poured out their hearts in defense of their " perfect" tree. Ultimately, Mom got the one she wanted, and the saw went to work chopping down her tree.
The adventure continued on as we dragged our enormous tree back across the snow-laden hills looking for a tractor and trailer willing to give us a ride back to our car. If we were lucky, the tree would fit in the baler-one year it would not-and a great big Christmas tree bundle got strapped to the top of the car. Piling back into the station wagon, we raced home to set up our tree.
The happy memories don't end there. Getting the tree home was only half the act. Enter Pa-pa and his voice of reason. "Dawn, that tree is too big. It won't fit in our house." He was right nearly every year. The tree's trunk always received a second round of shearing before taking it's place front and center in the living room window.
After the tree was decorated and lit, we enjoyed seeing more and more presents accumulate underneath. We would plug in the lights in the late afternoon and sometime before going to bed, Mom and Dad would unplug it again. Until Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve we all knew the twinkling lights stayed on all night. Early in the morning (or later in the morning depending on how old we were getting to be), six girls would tumble out of bed, shuffle into the living room and be greeted with the most breathtaking sight! The glow of the Christmas tree illuminated the room, shining off wrapping paper, and calling attention to a big bag from Santa. Spread out on the floor, in front of the tree, were six stuffed-to-the-brim stockings inviting us to come and partake. With the allure of new toys, the moment was over in the blink of an eye, but the living room aglow on Christmas morning is what Christmas time magical to me.
Imagine then, the struggle it's been with a husband who grew up a little bit differently. In a home that in all ways seemed even more frugal than my own, the electric bill at Christmas time apparently just went out the window. He wants the lights on all the time, day and night and any extra time in between. Last year we followed each other around, secretly plugging and unplugging. I was certain he was being obstinate only because he didn't like digging around for the loose cords to fit into the socket. There had to be a solution before we started our holiday celebrating again this year.
In come our kids. Even before talking about getting a tree, Beck was telling us excitedly and assuredly that Christmas trees have lots of presents and candy canes. I have no idea where the candy canes came from, but he was certain and now our tree is covered in candy canes and he's eating one every day. The first night we had our tree up I heard Beck telling his dad that if he couldn't sleep he would just come out and look at the tree. The second night we had our tree up, I found him Beck sleeping on the couch and when he woke up the first thing he said was, "I just wanted to lay here and look at this beautiful tree."
A mom's heart melts. It's a struggle to walk by and see the lights on at all times of the day. I want my family to know joy the way I remember it as a child. At the same time, who am I to take away a three-year-old's joy? Children make the holidays!
Saturday, December 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Love the story! Jenny and I always took inventory of the presents and knew exactly what was there and what sounds they made when you shook them. And Jim..he thinks I'm committing a crime against Christmas if I touch a present before it is time to open it. His mother would not let them even take a close look to see whose box was whose!
I love that video. I love your new blog decor. I love that beck. He is one in a million. I love having you as a sister.
Isn't Marriage a wonderful thing, just when you think we have that holiday thing settled it rears its ugly head.
When we first started I felt that everything had to be the way it had always been, then I married a woman who didn't grow up in my house or even my state and suddenly things began to change, so naturally I planted my feet in and pouted, later I felt the power of love, patience and long suffering begin to ebb away at my sharp corners and round me into a more enlightened person.
Particularly when Michelle suggested NOT WATCHING THE SUPER BOWL! I was thrown into a rage. Three years later on a Sunday she asked if we would be watching the game, to which I replied "what game?" It was Super Bowl Sunday and just like that I realized how unimportant it was.
I am interested to see just what traditions and ideas our children will force their spouses to deal with.
Amber, I'm with Jim. Don't touch the presents!
Great story!
Thanks! I look forward to getting updates from your Social Skills blog!
thank you for following my blog. i followed you as well.
Beautiful story
I love your story. It is so true how even the smallest traditions can seem so important. Christmas eve was also the only night we would keep our tree lights on for the entire night. So sweet how your son wanted to look at the lights. I love a child's perspective!
Melding the traditions is the hard part. And just when my husband and I think we have it figured out, some other childhood memory pokes it's little head out. Thank goodness for Beck to keep us in line.
The funny thing about the presents is that the kids haven't really bothered them. I wrapped almost everything last weekend and the kids barely took notice. Of course, our tree's branches come within inches of the floor so I don't think they even realize how much stuff is tucked under there.
The kids are much more excited about the magnetic advent calendar which is something we never did when I was a kid. The calendar has 24 little doors with magnets behind them and we're slowly building the manger scene. They've already guessed that baby Jesus is behind the last door. :)
I love the story. I too want my daughter to experience Christmas as when I was a child just pure joy.
We decided to not put any presents out until Christmas Eve this year. Then that will still be new for Beck and Peyton on Christmas morning.
I LOVE your Christmas memories and your quest to create new ones with your family now. I have similar issues with my husband. It's hard to find that perfect compromise!
So sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment