rss

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Veggies and a Recipe



I HATED vegetable soup when I was growing up.  I mean really did not like the stuff!  Not one time my mother made it did I spare her feelings.  It was disgusting and I was not going to touch it.  I can say now that it was the texture of mushy vegetables that I particularly didn't care for, but back then I just was not having it. (I also refused to eat cooked carrots and french-sliced green beans).

Thinking about that today, combined with the plummeting temperatures has me thinking of a super simple soup recipe that I do like, and I'm going to share it with you....

Broccoli-Wild Rice Soup

1 pkg Wild Rice Mix w/ seasonings (add extra white rice if desired)
5 c. water
10 oz. chopped broccoli (frozen works fine)
1 carrot, sliced thin (again frozen works, too)
1 c. corn (or any vegetable on hand-a frozen veggie medley will cover all three of these)
2 t dried minced onion (or 1/2 medium onion, chopped)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
Shredded Cheddar Cheese, optional

~Bring water to a boil and add wild rice; reduce heat to med-low.  Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once.
~Stir in remaining ingredients, except soup & cheeses.  Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
~Add soup and cream cheese.  Stir over heat until cheese is completely melted.
~Add shredded cheese, if desired.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Quirky Homemaker said...

Sounds really good!! I'll have to try it sometime! Thanks for your comments about Bermuda. I think we might have to wait until our 11 year. I'd reeaally like to go, but we'll see! Hope you have a great week, Michelle!~