rss

Friday, August 12, 2011

Back In the Day-Big Sister, Little Sister

I was struggling with the right way to introduce you to Kimberly of AalbersCreations (offering my #2 prize package during next week's A Blogtastic Extravaganza).   And then it came to me...


With 8 years between us, Kimberly and I bookend the family of six girls we grew up in.  Sometime after I grew up and she became a teenager we hit a spell of absolute goofiness and practical joking.  For our lives we can't figure out what triggered it, but to this day our bellies still ache from laughing.
Our interpretation of Julie Roberts' (Runaway Bride) duck-billed platypus 
Our shenanigans almost got out of hand.  I hid a mannequin head in bed; she filled my car with a week's worth of trash. The out and out kicker?  One muddy spring day while she was studiously attending her middle school classes, I moved her bedroom out of the basement and into the backyard.  I disassembled, reassembled, and made up the bed.  Then I waited for the school bus to come down the road and watched for Kimberly's completely confused reaction.  Then, because I was always a nice girl, I stood in the dining room window snapping photos while Kimberly reversed my day of hard work.  Yes, you read that right.  I didn't lift a finger to help her "re-decorate" her room.  In hindsight that might have been taking the joke a little too far...

Eventually I left home and started my grown-up life.  While I was getting established, Kimberly started reaching towards her own dreams.  She started thinking she'd like to get into fashion design and made her first foray with an incredible duct tape dress.  Both of her prom dresses (and suits for her dates) were duct tape and led her into years of designing her own fashion sense and clothing.  It would be a complete understatement to say that she and I had different styles, but she has always been more than willing to take my measurements over the phone and create fashionably original conservative clothes for me.

Life has changed a little bit for both of since those simple joking days.  1000 miles separates us and she has two beautiful little girls keeping her busy.  A little over a year ago her 18-month old daughter was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes.  And the last months have brought her sweet family other difficulties, but she keeps on smiling and her creativity has thrived through it all.

That's what makes me proud to include Kimberly in my upcoming giveaway.  With AalbersCreations she travels around the Midwest crafting hand-painted ethereal masks and fairy wings on the Renaissance Fair circuit.  Online she has branched out into baby shower gifts and other little girl accessories with new out-of-the-box ideas spilling out of her brain everyday.
Now that I've taken a trip down memory lane, I'm thinking a little long-distance practical joking needs to get underway.  For an extra entry in the #2 Prize Package in next week's giveaway, leave a comment here with an over-the-top idea to get Kimberly and I laughing like we did in the good ol' days.  

2 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

I was never that creative, but it sounds like you guys had a blast!

Lara Neves said...

What a fun relationship you guys have! I love it! And what a great sister you are to be doing this for her, although I can't think of a single over the top idea...