I got my first scanner recently and have been excitedly digging through boxes of photos and momentos looking for items to give a renewed online life. One of the things I've found are Ziploc bags full of magazine cut-outs that once upon a time I used in my scrapbooking; so many cute sayings and moving illustrations that aren't doing me much good in a drawer.
Sorting through the piles I found this cute cut-out and thought it would make a great banner for my blog. So, combining it with random photos I've unearthed, welcome to my new feature, Back in the day;). Let me know what you think!
This photo invoked a belly-aching fit of laughter from my husband once I explained that the very professional looking clowns were my mom, my sisters, and me (that's me on the tricycle).
He's hardly one to be surprised at the things our parents make us do-he grew up performing in his own eclectic line of "family shows." But, nonetheless, he thought it was pretty funny.
My mom was a creative and motivated lady when her girls were little. There were always craft projects in progress and new ideas brewing. My five sisters and I always knew she was a great artist and her most impressive talent was being able to use her beautiful handwriting completely backwards. I don't know how or when she honed that skill, but little girls don't think there's anything much cooler than seing their names written in reverse cursive.
Our hometown held an annual summer "Old Settlers" celebration with a special morning parade. These were where I remember my mom's biggest ideas coming forth, as can be witnessed in the photo above. There was no special reason for us to be in the parade. We weren't promoting a cause or advertising a business. My mom just set to work making each of us our very own clown costume and put us in the parade. Naturally. Why wouldn't your family parade in front of the entire town and half the county for the fun of it?
I'm sure there were other times we entered the parade as a family. I don't remember. When I was older I do remember my mom being in charge of the PTA float. She dressed all the neighborhood kids (including my sisters still in elementary) in different occupational uniforms and spent hours dubbing a cassette tape (that's right, I said dubbing a cassette tape) with the opening lines of Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All" to play as they proceeded past the crowds.
I feel my mom's influences in my life nearly everyday. Often it's in the times I'm wondering why I struggle so much with being a fun and loving parent, wondering where my anger and quickness to punish come from. My husband looks at me peculiarly each time he comes home to find a brand new craft project splayed across our dining table. He completely doesn't understand the fun in working side by side my sisters at a weekend craft show. Or why I get so excited about our children winning cheesy baby contests so we can decorate a "float" and be in the parade.
This photo of my family "clowning" around is a joyful reminder that my creative and positive quirks come from my mom as well.



7 comments:
I love this picture! You on a tricycle is priceless and is that Beth getting ready for a cartwheel? I think this will be fun to see what pictures you find. So, I have finally figured out how to post to your blog. I have been reading every one.
That is a great picture :)
I am a new follower from Rachel's blog hop.
I would love if you follow back. http://momsinvent.blogspot.com/
I love this post.. I just wrote about my mom too.. She is having surgery tomorrow to remove her breasts.. She has cancer.. We do become our moms, don't we..?
Love
Kelly
I've Become My Mother
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation
Love the photo...what a wonderful memory for you!!
Scanners are a fun tool to help you save all those precious photos and document from years gone by.
Your thumbnail photo on the link, just jumped out at me!!
I'm a new follower and hope you follow me back at:
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
Kathy At Oak Lawn Images
What wonderful memories from your childhood to bond you to your family, and the ones you are making now!
I just love old photos! I'd probably post it where I would see it most as a reminder to me and make me smile.
I think I may go dig up an old photo now!
Kim :)
www.thefitnessmoms.com
Maybe I should fire up my scanner and send you and the girls some pictures I found of all of us together! They're classics, let me tell you! :)
Post a Comment