rss

Thursday, January 20, 2011

In My Heart On Thursday

"One of our sons was spending a few days incarcerated in a local facility to 'pay his debt to society.'  As I looked at his sorrowful countenance behind that glass wall, my heart nearly broken, I only wished I had held and rocked that baby boy.  I couldn't, as hard as I tried, think of a specific time when I had held him on my lap and kissed his head, face, and ears and held him close to my heart.

I had washed that boy, scolded him for misdeeds, sent him to school, even taken pictures of him, but I couldn't remember putting my lips next to his ear and whispering tender, loving, happy words that might have echoed in his memory when he needed them.  When my arms couldn't get to him through that terrible glass barrier, I wanted to remember how it felt to hold him and I wanted him to remember how it felt to be held and loved by his mother.

So, if I could go back, I would hold and rock and sing and whisper love to my child every single day."

                                                                      -Excerpt from Delta, Utah, Ensign Magazine, July 1996

12 comments:

Megan Gunyan said...

Such an important thing to remember. When I get aggravated with my kids for "bugging" me, I stop what I'm doing, give them a big hug and kiss and tell them I love them. It makes ME feel so much better! Thanks for this important reminder!

miranda said...

Thanks for sharing, such a great point to think about.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic reminder...and on a day when i needed to hear (read) it. Thanks for this!

Susan Evans said...

Oh, how beautiful! I'm going to go love on my kids right now!!

jamiebartley said...

This is a good reminder to love your kids often and to kiss and hug them cause there may come a day when you can not. I am following back from Find Friends Friday.

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Following from the hop, love your blog and thanks for the great reminder. Hope you will stop by ThreeBoys and follow along!

threeboys-home.blogspot.com

Blogger Broadcast said...

What a tender and powerful post. I can understand this feeling, as I have two boys. Followed you back. Thanks for stopping by.

Janice said...

Hi! I'm following thru the blog hop. Really nice blog. Hope you follow mine too.

http://flippertail.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/flippertail

Thanks,
Janice

Clayton Thomas said...

Newest follower from the hop- This is a beautiful yet sad post. It makes me want to give my kids that extra hug.

Clay

http://tantrumstroublesandtreasures.blogspot.com/2011/01/is-it-ok-to-lie-to-my-kids.html

Monique said...

Hi! Just found your blog through I love my Online Friends.

Thank you for this post - I have a just out of teens child who seems to find trouble (or trouble finds them) and no amount of discussion helps her. However, I remember all the times I told her I loved her and held her and hugged her and I wonder where it all went wrong.

Hope you come and visit me :)

Monique xx
http://originalmischief.blogspot.com

Michelle H said...

Thanks for sharing, Monique. My kids are still little and I wonder what they will be like when they are older. Hopefully I don't screw them up too much :)

Valerie said...

How sad. That totally made me cry. I can't imagine a child growing up not knowing what it's like to be held and loved to pieces.