Deseret Industries operates along the same lines as Goodwill, I think, offering employment and training services, affordable items for purchase, and a place for the community to donate their time and no-longer-needed belongings. I support everything DI stands for, but what is the real reason I'm telling you all this? I have a secret dream...
I want $100 and an entire day alone to DI-hop. Within 45 minutes driving distance I have access to 10 fabulous stores. By far my favorites are the Sugarhouse and the American Fork stores. Sugarhouse always has unique items and American Fork has some tall, presumably wealthy people donating brand new stuff sized perfectly for me. Whenever this dream shopping spree takes place, I'll start farthest north in downtown Salt Lake City. That way, if I run out of time or money, I can skip the Provo store and know nothing is there waiting for me. In the middle of BYU married-housing, that store gets the dregs people have been passing down for generations and should have sent to the trash rather than a merchandising establishment.
Why Deseret Industries you're thinking. Why not dream and save up for a trip to the mall, or even bigger, to New York City? Well, first, reality is that holding 100 free dollars in my hand is a pipe dream. When that great party day arrives, I need to get the most bang for my buck. I can walk out of the mall with 2-3 things or out of DI with 12-15 things. Beyond the limitation of money, though, I see cute things peeking out at me every single time I go to DI. Usually I'm there shopping for my kids or trying to find that hidden gem out in the yard (for my local readers, do you know about the yard? I was sick to my stomach when I realized I'd been missing out for years and years). If I do look through the racks for me, a skirt or shirt is guaranteed to fall in love with me, and once in love I have to take it home. I'll hide it in the laundry basket until it's cleaned and then slip it in my closet pretending it's been there all along. My husband laughs at me. He's pretty sure my $3.00 discovery is not going to drain the coffers.
I'm sure a few of you are appalled by now. It may not seem I have very classy or lofty goals. If that's what you're looking for, hop over to my SIL's blog Timeless. Emulating and learning from Aubrey Hepburn, her shopping and fashion knowledge is in a world all her own. As for me, I've got $20 in the bank. One day that will grow and you'll find me grinning like a kid in a candy store. You can find me buried in the racks of everyone else's hand-me-downs.
Photo credit: www.waymarking.com

15 comments:
But you still like having new stuff when you can... right???? or did I completely drop the ball...
New stuff that didn't come out of my own strapped budget is like a million dollars at DI. Worth it.
You never know what you'll find going vintage!
Stopping by via the Wednesday hops to say hello and to follow. Hope to see you visit soon!
http://poshonabudget.com/2010/12/happy-wednesday-2.html
It is a good dream!!! Hi I am your newest follower from the blog hop & would love it if you stopped by and returned the love :)
http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/
It's nice when a dream is actually attainable. I hope yours come true soon. I'm dropping by from the Welcome Wednesday blog hop, and now I'm following.
Whenever I find a 2nd hand treasure, I feel so good ... partly because it's like the ultimate in recycling and I like the idea that I don't add to the problem of creating more stuff. In truth, when I find a treasure at a thrift store, I love it more than anything I've ever bought new ... because it's a "find" and special ... and there's the thrill of the hunt ... like Easter and finding the hidden egg.
Wonderful post ... and blog. I found you through the Wednesday blog hop (nice to "meet" you) ... and I'm following!
The thrill of the hunt...that IS a huge part of it! Thanks everyone for stopping by. I love to know people are actually reading!
I miss the DI SO MUCH! Here in Washington I've gone to four or five different thrift stores and all their stuff is gross and waaaaay overpriced. What I would give for a Utah DI right now!
A good place to go. A new follower from Thrifty Thursday bloghop. See you.
Love your writing style- my mom lived in UT last year and she loved the American Fork store too- and to find "tall" clothes be still my heart, and I didn't know about the yard and I could kick myself- next time I'm in Utah I'm going to have to look you up for a treasure hunt!!
The yard-a little bit of furniture and other junk overflow with hidden gems. A watched a brand new Radio Flyer tricycle walk out of there one day. I was sick to my stomach that I had lolligagged in the skirts and blazers...
I love thrifting. It is AWESOME! I am a fan of the Layton DI. It's excellent. Neat and clean and awesome.
Ooh, Layton is so far, but I might just have to sneak up there one day!
Here's to your dream coming true in 2011! :)
I share your dream! We don't have a DI here in MO, but we do have an abundance of thrift stores. Oh, to have $100 to spend...I'd be in heaven!
Post a Comment