rss

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where True Friends Are

As my Google Friend Connect following inches closer to that magic number of 100, I'm having a number of "new blogger" thoughts.  But, the thing is, I'm not really a new blogger.  I wrote my first entry for Wandering Still in 2007.  And about that same time I started my family's blog as well.

Gaining a "following" on this blog has been both exciting, motivating, and discouraging.  At first I was excited that there were people on the planet who wanted to read what I had to say.  And not only read it, but relate to it and respond back in some way.  The responses back were particularly motivating.  If there are people interested in what I have to say, then I'll give them more interesting things to read.  I see how that cycle works...that makes writing great for everyone.

The discouragement has come over the past few weeks as I've deleted scores of comments shamelessly advertising for other people's blogs.  I honestly could care less if you have hours everyday to scour bloghops and  directories looking for innocent bloggers who haven't religiously decided to follow your giveaways and freebies.  I have a life that doesn't involve always being attached to my computer, and I'm not going to follow you unless I want what you have to say to come across in my Google Reader and somehow enlighten my day.

Mean?  That's my truth.  And I'm comfortable saying it because I don't know most of you.  I know not every single thing I write is going to strike a chord in my readers.  On those days, I hope you make a promise to come back and see what I have to say the next time.  And let me know-even if you don't like it!

Where am I not comfortable expressing these feelings so clearly?  On my family blog.  If you were to hop over there right now you'd see my GFC counter has "0" connections.  Now, I have a handful of relatives that subscribe through a reader or an email subscription and I love them for that!  The trouble comes in the truth that that handful of people in my life are the extent of all the people I know who have one care to keep up with what's going on in the life of my kids or our family.

As I've started writing more frequently and perusing the wealth of blogs out there, I see that my family blog could easily do well if I decided to make it public.  I've resisted doing that for the sake of privacy and also to save my dignity...I feel like I'd end up making it public in a moment of desperation for SOMEONE to pay attention to me.  Obviously my husband and kids and myself don't need approval or high-fives for everything we do and everywhere we go.  But, just as when I write on this blog solely for the purpose of interacting with other people's thoughts and ideas, it'd be nice if our personal experiences were able to motivate or interest the people with which we share a personal connection.

So what is the answer?  Both in general writing blogs and in personal blogs?  How do you manage your friend connections?  What advice do you have for building up a committed and interested following?  And what made you decide to or not to publicly share your personal family blogs for all the world to see?  I'm just wondering.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I only have one blog, so I don't have to make a difference between the two. I initially started my blog for friends and family, so that's who I write for. Everyone else is icing. I've found the best way to get committed and interested followers is to be one. I have blogs that I like and I try to make sure I'm commenting..not every day but often enough. If someone comments and only asks for a follow back, I delete their comment and don't visit. If I could figure out a way to "unfriend" them I would!

Lisa said...

I completely agree with you. I don't follow blogs because someone asks me to and I don't like when people just advertise but aren't friendly. I follow people because I am interested in what they have to say and I want to come back and read more later. I appreciate everyone that stops to leave a sweet comment for me and always try to respond to every single one. But people that don't even leave a response, but just an advertisement are not worth it.

I still write for myself and to share my ideas with others. It's not about being the biggest blog or getting the most traffic.

Annie said...

I love this post. I am just barley starting to get a following and I feel the same way. I don't want to follow anyone's random blog. I only want to follow ones I care about or I like. I started doing the blog hop thing this week and then I realized that I don't go to anyone else's blog so why should I expect them to come to mine? I have been toying with the idea of making my family blog private again. I made it public because no one ever looks at it anyway so it didn't seem to matter. I am curious to what your other comments are too cuz I have been struggling with the same thing. Your honesty is what I love about you most. Keep it up. Love you.

Michelle H said...

Lisa, thanks for saying it that way! Bigger is not always better and focusing on traffic seems more stressful than inspiring.

Michelle H said...

Oh, Annie, as long as we stick together there'll always be at least one comment on our family blogs :) I'm really curious about the income from your ads, too. Let me know when you've decided if it's worth it.

shah wharton said...

Hey there - I totally get your point here and that's why I devised hop for specific types of people. That way I can actually have on place to see lots of interesting blog/people over the weekend, instead of loads of random's. (I hope this is okay to mention this here?) I'm hosting my own brand new and very first blog hop for the weekend starting tomorrow for creative people: this includes writers, artists of all genres, crafters,all sorts. Do try to stop by and link up if it applies to your good selves. It needs some love to get it off the ground.

I'm following your blog from the hop too btw.

Shah at wordsinsync.blogspot.com X

Marie said...

I only have one blog so it blurs the lines between personal and not-personal. So I don't worry much about who is following -- I moderate comments though because there is so much spam that comes through -- ugh. I follow quite a few blogs but I try and make it a point to visit regularly, especially those that have made an impression on me. One person can only do so much :-)

But I understand some of what you are saying -- that it can be very frustrating when it seems to be less about content and more about numbers.

AubrieAnne said...

I believe the first step is exactly what you have done here! Bravo! You have made your concerns public and asked for genuine interaction with your followers. Trust me, many people (including myself) will respect that.

You know of my piece daring people to become better followers? This is your stand, your dare, and I applaude you for it.

Of course, there will still be those people with the plain and unoriginal message of "following you, follow me" but ignore them. Have fun with those you know are going to give you a run for your money, those capable of actually having a conversation with you, listening to what you have to say, and offering their insights as well.

You're on the right track!

Michelle H said...

Thanks for the reminder and vote of confidence, AubrieAnne!

Marie, you're right. It can be frustrating. I'm definitely not blogging for numbers and traffic. But it's easy to get a little caught up in it when that's all the new followers you're getting.

Who cares? On with writing. That's the important thing.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I found this post today.
I have gone back and forth for years on this. I want followers but I want them to follow me because they love what I have to say...not so that I'll follow them back. I follow a ton of blogs and I used to check in on them every single day and comment. But now I only check in when I see something that I know I will love. My time is precious. And I work with lots of blogs, only 3 that I maintain regularly though.
It's hard. One minute you want followers and the next you don't care. I just want people to care.
But I'm glad to find your blog.

Michele said...

Leaving some comment love. Thought provoking post...I just decided to make my blog about all my stuff...I don't to have to many family that follow it. They follow on my personal FB account, so they know what we are up to. I don't blog much about my family, we are boring so not much to type.(May start private personal blog for that) I like blogs that are about saving money & families, so I follow and I don't follow back just because someone follows me. I have skipped a many of follow request due to language & content. I am following you (hope you don't mind) because I need thought provoking reading to help ground me and I won't be hurt if you chose not to follow me, because I know my blog may not be what you're looking for. Thanks Michele

Hockey Wife said...

I really liked this post. I have been thinking a lot about the same things.

I'd say half the blogs I follow are blogs I check in on regularly, and am actually interested in. The others, I follow because they followed me and now and again, I'll follow those people in return (I just don't check in on them regularly).

When it comes to building a committed following, I think you just have to keep writing. Keep being you. I think you'll see your followers grow and decline (but mostly grow) over time.

You can promote the crap out of your blog but your following won't be committed. So if what you're looking for is a committed following, know that it'll happen organically, it might just take time.

That's where I am. I participate in certain forums but I do it because I enjoy the conversation. I would rather keep the focus of my blog on hockey and my life within that world than have followers. Because blogging is therapy. I don't do it for anyone else.

It's easy to do giveaways, etc. It's not easy to come up with original content, day after day or week after week.