A few weeks ago I read an article explaining that time does not stop or change at the New Year, only humans do. At the time I thought to myself, "Who cares? Resolving to make myself a better person isn't a bad thing." Now, though, I've lived through another New Year's and I'm understanding more clearly what the article's writer had been imbibing.
The truth is, I am not a better person than I was three days ago and I don't feel the motivation or desire to be so. This New Year's Eve found me more mad at the world than I can remember ever being and that mood hasn't left me. I know we're individually responsible for making our own happiness, but I haven't made it work before and the dead cold dark of January isn't really the time I see myself finding motivation to make this time successful. So, with an apology to my husband and my kids who take the brunt of my self-imposed misery, let me say that one day I will try again to quit making your life miserable.
In the meantime, here are a few of the activities I'm looking forward to planning, experiencing, and writing about in 2011.
1. A year of Thai food cooking.
2. List and review of books I read in 2010
3. Finding a way to make sure 2012 finds us somewhere more exotic than we are now.
4. Rediscovering the feeling of true faith.
Best wishes to you if you're hyped up for a finger-tingling year. Hopefully I'll find you there in a little while!
Monday, January 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh michelle I love you. We need to hang out. Your story is sounding a bit like mine although yours is WAY more valid than mine. Mine is so petty.
Thanks for stopping by my blog- I didn't get to go to the Christmas tab concert- did you? I'm sorry your feeling blucky (blah and yucky!). I've been a mom for 23 years and have struggled with diagnosed depression for about 21 years- life is good now- but I can relate to the yucks! Let me know if I can help!!!- Jana
Yum yum! I love Thai food. Are you going to post some of the stuff you make? I don't really cook, but I love to see what others are cooking!
AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/
Annie, you make me laugh-I need that.
Jana, thanks! I had Sunday tickets and ended up giving them away b/c my husband and to speak and teach that day. Hopefully next year! Thanks for sharing about your depression. I don't know what my deal is right now. I just know I'm angry A LOT of the time. Working on working that out.
Thai food is the greatest! I'll definitely post some stuff along the way!
I feel the same way about every New Year and all the grandiose resolutions we're supposed to make. Thanks for chiming in on my post today. That was a great quote you shared.
Post a Comment