rss

Friday, January 7, 2011

A Year of Reading 2010

It seems like it was a really busy year without a lot of time for reading  Looking back, though,  I think the problem is I read stellar stories right at the beginning and descended down a road of none-too-inspiring tales from there.

I switched this year to recording all my books on Goodreads (username Wanderingstill).  The list below is in the order I read them, with one exception.  This year found me for the first time in my life quitting a book.  I've always been a die-hard believer in finishing a story in hopes that it will get better.  I couldn't do it this year and I've listed those at the bottom.

Have you read these and want to share your review? I'd love to hear it!  Or leave me a recommendation on your "must-reads".  And if you're looking for something different than what I have here, be sure to check out my lists from 2008 and 2009. Or check out the book challenges I'm participating in for 2011: Take A Chance Challenge at Life with Books and Outdo Yourself at The Book Vixen.

1. Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day (Watson)-Fun escape story set in 1930's high-class England.  An old biddy experiencing new life and fate changing her misfortunes.  Left me feeling happy.
2. The One Hundred (Garcia)-Great fashion suggestions and direction. Good to see that trendy "Utah dress" isn't all there is to wear.
3. Out Stealing Horses(Petterson)-Norwegian author, simplicity of writing is beautiful and full of feeling. Great reflection on relationships. "You decide how much it hurts."
4. Orrin Porter Rockwell(Schindler)-I appreciated the grittier view of early Salt Lake City, but the author openly admits his sources were pieced together liberally with what was available.  Church history in opening chapters is not very accurate and their is a lot of speculation in the narrative.
5. Triangle: The Fire That Changed America(von Drehle)-NYFD deserves their century-old reputation.  The chapters on the fire were captivating and on unions/social welfare were informative. 
6. The Outlaw Trail(Kelly)-A LOT of people to keep straight.  I started skimming over the names and fell in love with the wild west tales.  Intrigued at their resourcefulness in the Utah deserts and that a lot of outlaws later became the law.
7. The Worst Hard Time(Egan)-I thought I knew about the Dust Bowl, but I had no idea!  Couldn't keep my mind on the fact it was the 1930's-so primitive and it wasn't that long ago! Great Read!
8. The Twins(de Loo)-FANTASTIC! Translated from the original Dutch. A fresh perspective on WWII that hasn't been done to death.  The balance of the two character's seems off for awhile, but it all comes together beautifully.
9. The Relationship of Mormonism & Freemasonry(Ivins)-Not a good comparison of the two, but succinct info on the church and ancient American traditions from a general authority.  No interesting information on the actual controversy at the time it was written.
10. Breaking Free(Lo-Johannsen)-Classic Swedish story with no progress and no climax.  Last chapters had hope but then fizzled out.  Should be read as history not as a story.
11. 1-2-3 Magic(Phelan)-A discipline program that explains what you're doing when you're counting.  Singles out parent emotion as a huge stumbling block.  The positive motivations were a lot to digest.
12. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian(Sherman)-Innocent.  Subject matters I wouldn't want my teenager to read, but touching as it comes together at the end.
13. Lean Mommy(Druxman)-Not the least bit motivating
14. Toilet Training in Less Than A Day(Azrin/Foxx)-Thorough, but this was not the system for me.
15. Mommy I Have To Go Potty(Faull)-Good information.  Not as a mean method of training.
16. A Confederacy of Dunces(Kennedy Toole)-The strangest story! Used audio book and still exclaiming, "Whoa, hey!"
17. Heaven on Earth(Oppenheimer)-Too focused on nature/earth for me, but very creative ideas for kids.  Especially loved the ideas for creating backyard fantasy lands.
18. The Great Gatsby(Fitzgerald)-Enjoyed the writing style. Dark but not too dark.
19. The History of Love(Krauss)-Beautiful!
20. Liars and Saints(Meloy)-Think about the story of your family-not the public story, but the story nobody wants to tell. Then read this book.  Family stories should be told the way this story was told.
21. Sway(Brafman)-Real life examples of irrational behavior. No idea how to apply it in real life.
22. The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet(Larsen)-Has a major believability problem but I kept turning the pages.  Author uses a child's true vulnerability to bring it home.
23. Yup. Nope. Maybe.(James/Thomas)-Read it as a funny & humble relationship book written with a spiritual perspective.  The "golden nugget" is a study guide at the end. Read the last question first.
24. The Red Pony(Steinbeck)-Great guy book.  I'm not a short-story reader and wanted the stories to connect together.  Didn't understand why he completely changed topics in the last story, either.
25. Crossing to Safety(Stegner)-Spoke to many different pieces inside me.  Conflicting pieces.  I needed it.  And I want to live in the cover.
26. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future(Fox)-Lacks continuity but includes humble down-to-earth observations from his life.
27. Me Talk Pretty One Day(Sedaris)-Can't stand this author or his subject matter.
28. Adventuring with Children(Jeffrey)-
29. The Creative Family(Blake Soule)-Really cute natural craft ideas for kids.
30. Kabul Beauty School(Rodriguez)-The idea of saving the world through beauty school seems shallow, but one lady took what she knew how to do to a scary part of the world hoping she could make life better for women-and it's working!  Hope she's still finding success.
31. The Master and Margarita(Bulgakov)-Well-written but undeniably evil.  Couldn't read it on Sunday or when my husband was away.  1st half is psychological.  2nd half less so, hence, not quite as unnerving.
32. An Ordered Love(Kern)-Proof that dissertations are not meant to be read.  Didn't agree with author's LDS perspective so read the rest with a grain of salt.   I would never recommend this book.
33. The Christmas List(Evans)-A feel-good Christmas read.  Yes, I cried at the end.
34. The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes(Opie)-Hadn't heard most rhymes included. Boring.
35. Wild at Heart(Eldredge)-Just attacks fathers and tells men they're damaged. Very different religious opinions than my own.
36. The Christmas Box(Evans)-Undeveloped.  For a light read, The Christmas List is much better.


The ones I didn't finish:
1. Too Much Happiness(Munro)-These are disturbed and depressing short stories.
2. How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone(Stanisic)-Brilliant first chapter and then gets so murky and muddled I had no idea what was going on.  Do you know what was going on?
3. Do Travel Writers Go To Hell?(Kohnstamm)-My biggest letdown.  Thick-laden with sex and swearing and I had to stop reading.  Really glad I didn't pay money for this one.


And just for fun, my favorite children's book this year:
Shoe Baby
The illustrations remind me of the Montmartre neighborhood in Paris.
Whimsical and breathtaking.

11 comments:

Pedaling said...

Thank you so much for posting this list with you commentary! Our book club is meeting next week and discussing what will be on our list for the new year. I am excited to present a few of these for the vote!

Aiming4Simple said...

I dare not post the books I read because there were so few I actually finished. Two of my favorites were What the World Eats and Acedia and Me, by Kathleen Norris. I didn't finish Acedia, but thought it was fantastic for me. Perhaps I can check it out from the library and finish it tonight.

Thanks for visiting and mentioning your interest in our upcoming winter activities. It should be a good week!

Michelle H said...

I read What the World Eats last year or the year before-intriguing! You should also check out the book they did on the world's houses and homes. Thanks for the tip on Acedia-I'll be sure to look for it!

AubrieAnne said...

Oh dear! I haven't read any of these but the Great Gatsby and I read theat in highschool! I read A LOT but it's just all different. If you are interested, I post book reviews pretty frequently so you could jump on over and take a look. Also, since you read so much in the year, I would love to have you join my bookmark break challenge! You just read what you can, keep track of it and see if you can read more than others...There are also rewards if you beat ME! Here's the link if you are interested...

http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/2011/01/wyes-bookmark-break-challenge-2011.html

TTYL!
AubrieAnne

shah wharton said...

anneOh lovin this blog so much I had to follow - no I'm not cruising for lovin - I didn't read any of these either - but I did read some classics, two Japanese books, and loads of vampire/witch fantasy books.Just finishing Dracula which I'm raving about everywhere.

Shah. x

Anonymous said...

What a great list you have there! May be pulling from that one myself :) Thank you for following, and I am following you back!

Rachel Neill said...

Hi there,

I'm following through blog hop, I was drawn to the name of your blog.

If you'd like to have a read through my blog, it's linked through my name.

Thanks!
Rachel

Datssocute said...

Now there is one heck of a reading list! I love to read, but that's way more than I've read in 3 or 4 years! I'm now following you from http://datssocute.blogspot.com. I hope you'll come by and check it out! Have a good one! BJ

Jenners said...

I think it is great that you learned to give up on a book that wasn't doing it for you!! I need to learn that skill.

And I wanted to welcome to the Take A Chance challenge! I hope you have fun with it and get lots of fun and surprising books to read.

Here is the link to the blog that I created to post your finished entries: http://www.takeachance.lifewithbooks.com/

shah wharton said...

I am awarding you with Most Stylish Blog Award - to claim it visit my blog for instructions. Congratulations on this award. You deserve it!! X shah wordsinsync@blogspot.com XX

Danielle-Marie said...

Thank you for sharing! I was just saying the other day to my fiance I am in desperate need of new reading material. Now I have some ideas. Cheers!