The concept is to take a previously published story from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' children's magazine, The Friend, and produce simple animations of the story for parent's to download and share with their families. The creator's are hoping to provide simple entertaining animations with a clean and positive message.
The first video Sun Swing Media has completed is "The Decision." The story follows three boys walking home one day, happening upon an inappropriate magazine, and their reactions as they decide what to do with it. The animation itself reminded me of the "Home Star Runner" animation clips. And at about 4 minutes long, it's short enough to keep children's attention.
I'll be upfront with you. I did not show "The Decision" to my little boy. I agree that we need to be open with even our small children about the threats awaiting them in the world. I don't feel, however, like he needs to be introduced to words like pornography quite yet. For children at the higher end of the target audience, though, (6-10ish) the video does deal with the subject tastefully and appropriately. Also, the creators are honest about not being screenwriters. The dialogue pretty closely follows the story, but I don't feel like the simple animation style necessarily lends itself well to the depth of emotion the creators were striving for.
Would I buy this video for download? For the $1.00 price tag, absolutely! Not because this particular video was 100% captivating, but because I know that as Sun Swing Media produces more and more videos, the quality will become better and we NEED more child-friendly entertainment options available for our families.
Interested in finding out more?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this video or anything else you want to share about the media options available for children today!
*Sun Swing Media, while having permission to work with stories from a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints publication, is an independent production company and not an official representative of the church.

3 comments:
Dan Hiatt replied: I think the animation is fine. I wonder however, if they wouldn't be better off having free downloads for some of these videos and spread the word that way. Kind of build the tribe first. (although I don't really know).
Lucy says: I like the idea bc the world needs as many good videos as possible, especially for kids, but they should've cut the sample video at a different more inspiring part not just kids finding porn, ha ha just funny
Josh says: I agree with Lucy. They may get a lot of people downloading the video and probably not the people they are trying to target:)
Post a Comment