rss

Monday, September 12, 2011

Let's Do A Little A-Z

We've all seen it-People out in blogworld playing a little game of A-Z.  There are lots of variations, but the idea is always the same: Starting at the beginning of the English alphabet, work your way through to Z, sharing little snippets of yourself along the way.  In the past I've had little interest in jumping onto the bandwagon, but something in my mind recently said, "Hey, go ahead and give it a try!"  So for as long as it takes me to get through the 26-letters, here is A-Z, Wandering Still-style...


My last name growing up started with double-A's.  Aa.  I loved ALWAYS being the first name called on the roll-call list.  No waiting  around or worrying that I'd quit paying attention and miss someone calling my name. I had no sense of humor for substitute teachers cleverly trying to "switch things up" by calling out names in reverse, starting with "Z".  No one else was buying it were they?  If I were a Wilson or a Van Wyk or a Young I'd probably have been annoyed because I wasn't used to being first and so I did just miss you calling my name...

My married name is a good-ol' middle-of-the-alphabet name.  Not too far in to bore me, but enough in that I have to stay on my toes.  But,as I sit here thinking about it, there aren't a lot of moments in adult life that call for a long line of attending names to be called out in succession, are there? 

Huh.  Glad I had my double-A name back when it meant something.

3 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

lol! I LOVED it when teachers called in reverse becasue I was an R and I like to me closer to the beginning. Maybe that's why I married a B, so my children wouldn't have to suffer the same fate :)

K @ TS said...

I was at the very end. I LOVED it when they called it in reverse. You are right though -- now, there are not so many instances of long lists of name calling. But you want to be fair to your kids. So it's good you are in the middle.

Amy said...

I moved from the beginning of the middles to the end of the middles when I got married. :) I just thanked my lucky stars that I married a pleasant last name. I was always afraid I was going to get something weird. LOL
I'm glad I found your blog on Thoughtful Thursday! I'm mormon too! Always great to meet a fellow mormon momma. If you get the chance I'd love a comment back on this post.