I mentioned yesterday that I've done some overseas traveling. Today I thought I'd share some thoughts on the foreign countries (and one self-governing commonwealth) that I've visited:
Belgium-My senior English teacher docked me a point on a paper for typing the Grand Place instead of the Grand Palace. It really is Grand Place and I still want my point back. Make sure to see the night-time laser light show!
Luxembourg-Teeny tiny, but beautiful. You know the capital city and country are the same, right? Making it officially Luxembourg, Luxembourg.France-After two trips to Paris I can officially say I could care less about ever going back there. The Normandy Coast and the French Riviera, however, are definitely worth repeat visits.
Netherlands-My paternal ancestry and I LOVE this country!!!
Canada-The thoroughfare for my multiple drives to and from Alaska. I'm still grateful for kind strangers 50km north of Edmonton who helped me change my flat tire.
Mexico-Anyone who tells me they're taking a Mexican Riviera cruise will probably never have to worry about me asking them for travel advice.
Bermuda-A GREAT cruise destination because all the ports are on the same island. Get off at the first one and rent a scooter for the rest of your stay. You don't have to be on the ship when it moves-but know that the island is a little step back in time and all-night gas pumps may not be readily available...
Bahamas-Okay, this is a little cheating because I've only been on the beach Princess Cruises leases.
Guatemala-Does anyone have insight on how safe it is to travel independently here? Not knowing, we were overly cautious.
Costa Rica-Definitely do the zip-lining. I went 5 months pregnant. My husband and I were the only English speakers and after listening to a 20-minute safety speech in Spanish we were told, "Hold here, don't touch here. Go!"
Panama-Traveling through the canal is amazing! Tip for my LDS readers-the Panama LDS temple is viewable as you're entering/exiting the east end of the canal.
Puerto Rico-I mostly remember it being dirty.
Taiwan-This also should be considered a cheat, but a 10-hour over-night layover anywhere counts in my book.Thailand-Go here!! Get out of Bangkok right away. I went north to Chiang Mai and did a jungle trek. Next time I'll go south to Phuket and the beaches!
Malaysia-Aqua blue beaches, snake temples, and English architecture-a surprisingly interesting destination.
Singapore-As clean as the news reports lead you to believe.
Spain-Gaudi was such a freak! A big-dreaming freak!
Australia-Really incredible-Perth was my absolute favorite. Great opposite-side-of-the-road driving in Tasmania.
New Zealand-The mist in the fjords is worth getting up early for, but I'd spend the rest of my vacationing days on the north end of the north island if I could. Tahiti-French-speaking and you'll REALLY benefit from being french-speaking, too.
Italy-Where to start? Go here...that's all I can say.
Portugal-All the blue & white tiles in Lisbon-enchanting!
Albania-Such a sad looking country. The fall of communism, the rise of capitalism, and now? Deserted developments as far as the eye can see.
Croatia-Everything wonderful that, for me, Albania was not.
Gibraltar-Okay, the Rock of Gibraltar is a real place! And at the top is a mess of wild monkeys. Totally awesome!



7 comments:
What a great list! I agree with you on most points, although I found Albania to have many hidden treasures and did you somehow miss Montenegro? Because I liked it the BEST.
Oh and as for Guatemala, travel is safe! Hopefully next time you will go see lots of things! Did you at least get to Atitlan?
Fascinating! I am trying hard to not have travel envy. =)
I did somehow miss Montenegro, but I really did fall in love with that region and will definitely head back over there someday. Thanks for the Guatemalan vote of confidence, too! My visit there was really really brief, but I'd love to go back and study a little bit of their ancient history.
I haven't done a lot of traveling, though have moved a few times around the continent. I've heard from others that they do not love Paris. I'm envious of all your adventures!
Stopped by from Weekend Wander at FTLOB. Have a great weekend!
Hi Michelle! Your comment on Italy is perfect. Stopping by from FTLOB. Have a great weekend!
Julie
myrovingi.com
You really are a traveling lady :) I like all your run downs of the countries. It is interesting to see how different people perceive different countries. Stopped over from FTLOB and glad I did!
TGN
Nobody Need Wait
Laughed out loud about Gaudi!
Post a Comment