I LOVE hot-air balloons! Last year we went to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta for the fiesta and I'm hooked! That festival has hundreds of balloons lifting off every morning of the 10-day festival. You can sign up to be part of a balloon chase-team and then get in free for the entire festival. Last year I pushed my reluctant husband into volunteering and he was addicted after his first day. He ended up chasing with a team from the Netherlands flying a 10-story-high Rooster balloon.

Last Christmas my husband's boss bought hot-air balloon rides for all his employees. Oh, that was fantastic for me! We saved our vouchers and went last week for my birthday! I think most people have a romantic idea of what it will be like floating in a balloon. It was exciting and fun, but not necessarily peaceful. We were in a basket with 10 other people. The burners control the rate of conversation (or at least how much of the conversation you hear) and they're pretty hot! One man on our balloon was nearly bald and the pilot had to scrounge up a dirty smelly baseball cap for him to where instead of roasting his head.
I know hot-air ballooning is not for everybody. It happens in the EARLY morning. It's more successful in cooler temperatures. It's not face-paced and you are thousands of feet off the ground suspended in a basket propelled only by a little propane. But it's definitely worth a try! The balloons are enormous! Watching the first balloon of a dawn patrol alight before dawn is mesmorizing. The coldest air is actually on the ground and warms as you make you way upwards. And though I'm not afraid of heights, several people have told me that once you're off the ground, height is all relative and not really a problem.
I think you should try it! Get up close and see how it happens. And if you find yourself at this year's Balloon Fiesta (Oct.1-10), look for me! I'll be there.

6 comments:
How cool! I have always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon! This year we were camping at Red Rock during a festival. We were able to go to the beach and swim and just watch the balloons pass over us. It was really neat.
It is beautiful I love them to we do quite a bit of it here in northern California over the awesome wine country...New follower from the blog hop. Hope you can come by and see me soon.....
Cool!
Hopping by from Loys' of Lovin' Weekend Hop. I am your newest GFC follower. I hope you can stop by www.indianacouponsavings.com and follow back. Debs Dealz and I host a daily blog hop. Check it out at www.debsdealz.blogspot.com/
Hope to see you:0)
Stopping by from the blog hop and now following your blog thru GFC, RSS Reader and Facebook. I would love a follow back on both when you get a chance. Thanks so much and have a wonderful weekend.
Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com
Oh, I have been up in a couple and I love them. We were just talking about the possibility of going to the balloon festival this year. I really wish we could. We have been to a couple in AZ and they were amazing.
What a fun thing to do on your birthday! I love how hooked you guys got last balloon festival and hope this year's is as amazing!
Post a Comment