Every once in a while something we've taken for granted or not paid attention to at all becomes strikingly meaningful. This happened for me two months ago as I sat at home, awake late at night with my newborn babies miles away in our hospital NICU unit. Watching television as a distraction, I watched a March of Dimes commercial intently for the very first time. Never before I had really paid attention because never before had I considered the family the March of Dimes was helping could be mine.
It happened to me again this week as I watched live coverage of Superstorm Sandy hitting the eastern United States. I was struggling with the feeling that this magnificently devastating storm was not moving me like I thought it would if it was happening somewhere else in the world. And then came the images of precious but struggling newborn babies being evacuated at the height of the hurricane from the NICU unit of NYU Langone Medical Center.
This is the image that really did it for me...
| Source: People.com |
It has reminded me today how grateful I am for the NICU nurses that so attentively watched over my little Jax and Lucca 24 hours a day for 16 days while I was unable to be with them. Clocking in each day for a 12 hour shift where their sole responsibility was to make sure our defenseless wee ones had any possible thing they would need. And assuring me that entrusting them with my two newest gifts from heaven was the way it needed to be.
Today I am grateful for those people in the world
who choose to live each day in the service of the littlest and weakest among us.

5 comments:
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing this with us at NOBH. Have a great weekend.
Quite a touching story. Finding a way to relate does help when remembering other sin need.
That is incredibly moving. What a wonderful thing to be thankful for!
Please don't forget to link back to our blog hop that you linked here from :) You can grab the button here: http://davonneparks.com/30-days-to-give-thanks-day-one-link-up-and-special-offer/
We have so much to be thankful for! No matter how dark life gets at times, there is always something and someone that we can thank God for. Thank you for the reminder that there are so many people in each of our lives that impact us for good.
Wow! I truly cannot imagine. Thank you for sharing
Post a Comment