rss

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Uniquely December: Nobel Prize Day

"If I Have 300 Ideas in a Year and Just One Turns Out to Work I Am Satisfied"

-Alfred Bernhard Nobel


Let's not shortchange the 2011 Nobel Laureates...it's actually Nobel Prize Week.  One look at their website and you'll realize you've missed out on quite the party!  At first glance NobelPrize.org is predictably dry and boring.  But give it a click or two and you'll discover that someone on the Nobel Prize Committee has made a valiant effort to make what they do entertaining.

For example, you can watch a time lapse video of the banquet set-up and gala.  If you've ever worked in banquets you'll think this is pretty interesting.  Watch the 2-minute video here...

Or find the locations of many Nobel Laureates when they found out they had won the prestigious award (apparently it's a completely unexpected call only minutes before the official announcement is made). 

What did I learn while looking around at NobelPrize.org?  Something extremely useful, of course...
Richard F. Heck shows his signature under a chair at the Nobel Museum
Apparently it's become a tradition for Nobel Laureates to visit the Nobel Museum and sign the underside of a chair at Bistro Nobel.  Why?  I have absolutely no idea!  But it happens, so the next time you stop in there for lunch, take a peek underneath your seat...you can guarantee I've added this to my list of must-do's the next time I'm traveling through Sweden!

The Nobel Prize website really is worth a look around.  Especially do it today-Stockholm is hours ahead of the United States so their December 10th has already finished and you'll feel like you're reading news from the future.  And while you're there take a stab at the 2011 Nobel Prize Quiz.  I got 9 out of 10 right and I challenge you to beat me!

1 comments:

Valerie said...

I never heard that about the chair. Interesting. And I'm jealous of Nobel have 300 ideas a year, even if only 1 works out. I am not creative enough to come up with even one idea of the sort he would!