rss

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Uniquely December: Winter Solstice

Officially, the winter solstice does not strike until late late tonight and so a lot of time zones in the world will recognize this year's winter solstice on the 22nd.  Where I live, however, the official start of winter will be at 10:30pm and so I'm celebrating today.

Having lived so long in Alaska's Midnight Sun, the Summer Solstice is my big celebration holiday.  I have a big get together in June every year.  I did spend one winter up there, though, and can tell you the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere takes on a whole new meaning in the extreme north.  In Fairbanks, where I lived, a good share of the winter months barely see the shades of dusk in the middle of the day.  Literally, the sun will barely break the horizon, move across the sky, and then retreat.  The whole sunrise, daylight, sunset process happened between 11 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.  (Makes for a really dark day when you go to work in the dark and go home from work in the dark)

In complete contrast, I've spent more than one winter solstice on the opposite half of the world.  In the Southern Hemisphere, the December solstice marks the longest day of the year.  Ah, summer!  I need to figure out a way to swap hemispheres halfway through the year and get double the summer solstice partying and festivities!

Now I'm curious-
What does the solstice look like where you are today?

2 comments:

Farrah Shumway said...

I LOVED BOTH SUMMER & WINTER WHEN I LIVED IN FAIRBANKS! I'm back in California now but the 3 years I was up there was the best! My best friend lived there for over 20 years so even after I moved I would go back often to visit. However, she had been in Anchorage for a few years now so sadly I haven't gotten back to Fairbanks since but I still love visiting her in Anchorage. This time of year always reminds me of Fairbanks. The Summer Solstice too :)

Farrah

Unknown said...

The sun hasn't risen yet on this longest day here in Dixie but I'm excited to know that this day marks the last of the lengthening night!