rss

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Uniquely December: Take It In the Ear Day

Many years ago a cable movie channel let an intern play editor for a day.  Off the shelf came, "Liar, Liar" and off he went to work.  His goal for the day?  Change barely offensive dialogue into family-approved rhetoric.

The scene:  Retrieving his car from the impound lot, lawyer Fletcher Reede notices a new scratch on the side.  Irate, he begins taking it out on the lot boy.

The dialogue:
"You scratched my car!
"Oh, yeah, whatcha gonna do about it?"
"NOTHING! If I take you to small claims court, you probably wouldn't show up, and if you did and I won you'd just stiff me anyway.  So, I'm going to turn around and just take it in...the ear...


Feeling confident in his choice of insults, the intern quickly inserted ...the ear... into another movie or two (The Wayans brothers "Bulletproof" for one), punched the clock and called it a day.

Is there anyone my husband knows that has not heard this story?  I don't think so.  Is he overjoyed to have a day devoted to this most ridiculous of dialogue dubbing.  I am positive there isn't a person he runs into today that won't hear his over-excited re-telling of an intern's innocent attempt at real job for a day...


0 comments: