I was just a kid when Magic Johnson announced that he had been infected with HIV/AIDS. Back then everybody was scared. We didn't know about the disease, didn't understand how it evolved, how it was spread, or what a life with AIDS could be. That was twenty years ago. Magic Johnson is still living and the face of AIDS has changed tremendously.
I have to admit I haven't had personal experience with HIV/AIDS and honestly have not given much thought to the disease. I do know that while AIDS is present in people all around the world, infected people everywhere are living longer due to increased research, treatments, awareness, and education. Unfortunately there are still places where the infection is still an epidemic-in particular, many nations of Africa.
A prominent reason for the AIDS explosion in these undeveloped countries is transfer of the infection from mother to child during pregnancy, birth, and/or breastfeeding With the uneducated stigma of such a terrible disease, mothers too often receive inadequate information and resources to treat themselves, and they don't know there are precautions they can take to keep their babies healthy and safe.
The good news is that the picture of HIV/AIDS is looking better. The 2011 UNAIDS report shows a significant drop recently in the number of new infections. This has to be a result of hard work to increase the availability of testing and education and I've been especially touched by the efforts of the organization mothers2mothers.
- education and support to pregnant women and new mothers living with HIV to increase access and adherence to lifesaving interventions for them and their infants
- Provide education to clients before and after they take their HIV tests during pregnancy
- Provide one-on-one peer education and group support sessions to pregnant women and new mothers with HIV
- Offer services to women together with their partners as a couple
Visit the mothers2mothers website and find out more about the important work they are doing in Africa and Europe. While you're there check out this sweet idea to get involved...
I have no affiliation with mothers2mothers-just a cause that moved me :)
For more information:

1 comments:
This is a pretty amazing cause. I just wish I could be volunteer helping teach the people. Great post!
Post a Comment